Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 21:03:58 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> What is your opinion on defaulting the GTK build to be without
> XInput2?

It would mean leaving the default build without several features.  Since
those features will be missing by default, most users will not know of
them, and they will end up not being useful.  Which is why I think the
default should be one of the Lucid, Motif, or no tookit builds, which
both provide those features and avoid the crashes.

I really cannot understand the objection to such a default based on the
set of tool bar icons available there.  If they are such a big problem,
the icons used in the existing GTK build can be imported right now, as
they are under the same GPL v2 license that the current tool bar icons
in etc/images use.  But all of that smells of putting looks above
usefulness, a godforsaken plague of modern software that Emacs has not
yet succumb to.