Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 13:30:01 +0300

On 23.08.2022 03:45, Po Lu wrote:
Dmitry Gutov<dgutov@yandex.ru>  writes:

Don't forget HiDPI support.
Lars says it works well enough on the Lucid build, at least as well as
the rest of Emacs does at present.  Borders and box faces don't scale
but there is nothing that can be done about that at present.

Huh, indeed. I guess my impression of it was old.

But the scrollbars look odd, and the icons and the grey background make the program look dated. Not a problem for me personally: I disable both.

We do want new users to try Emacs and decide to stick with it, don't we?
Right, and one way to do that is to provide them with a build where the
frame does not randomly resize itself upon entering a Dired buffer, or
where the `scroll-bar-width' frame parameter actually behaves as
documented instead of just flickering, or where an X disconnect does not
crash Emacs.

Well, yes, but also better looks.