Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:32:57 -0400

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>> I sent a short demo that shows how one can escape from an _exit a few
>>> weeks ago in bug#56967; I attach it here again.  The same kind of
>>> things can be done to circumvent segfaults in library functions.
>
> Cool!
>
>> Sorry, but that's not a good idea.  What if someone statically links
>> Emacs with the C library?
>
> That's not the default configuration, and if somebody is wild enough to
> do that, then that's not our problem.

Since we're talking about extreme ideas, how about this: create a light
fork of GTK that contains a bunch of bug fixes that make Emacs happy,
pull it in as a submodule, build it as part of Emacs's
--with-x-toolkit=gtk build, then have the Emacs binary load the forked
GTK library at runtime.  (Or to borrow a term from other language
communities, Emacs could "vendor" GTK.)

Thomas