Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 06:34:55 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 12:20:26PM +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > There are various ways users can make such modifications.
> > We can add those to the list of possible options to compare.
> > This is for GTK 3, right?
> >
> > One pwrtinent question is, how bad would the problems of GTK 3 be if
> > we imagine a few of them have been fided this way?  Would they be bad
> > enough that we would want to reject GTK 3 over them anyway?
>
> Yeah.  It would be a lot of work to do that.
>
> > There is a modified version of GNOME 2, which I suppose includes GTK
> > 2.  It is called Maté.  (The accent on "ë is incorrect Spanish, but it
> > is correct English.)  It is no longer maintained, but it is probably a
> > better starting point than GNOME 2 itself.  I use it, because it is
> > included in Trisquel.  I presume it contains a version of GTK 2.

Hm. I only know of MATE (spelled in capitals) [1] [2], named after yerba
mate (which doesn't have an accent).

This one tries to be like Gnome 2 (I know a few users who were glad to
move to MATE after Gnome 3 came out).

Mate switched to Gtk3 a while ago, though (the current Debian dependency
of Marco, MATE's window manager, for example, is on Gtk3).

> Some parts of Mate have apparently been ported to GTK 3.  I'm not sure.

Yes, see above.

> > If newer versions of GTK are lousy, and the other options also have
> > bad problems, maybe this is the best.
>
> I guess we could take up maintenance of GTK 2.  But it would still be a
> lot of work.

Indeed. Possibly comparable to making Lucid "nice". Don't know.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_(software)
[2] https://git.mate-desktop.org/