Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 17:45:14 +1000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > > Is using Mate running with GTK 3 tantamount to using GNOME 3?
>   > > Or is it still like  GNOME 2?
>
>   > Apparently it is still maintained, but it has now moved to GTK3. Both
>   > Ubutnu and Fedora have versions of their distribution based on the
>   > current mate desktop.
>
> I still have the questions:
> Is using Mate running with GTK 3 tantamount to using GNOME 3?
> Or is it still like  GNOME 2?

I don't understand this question. Gnome is a desktop environment, Mate
is an alternative desktop environment. They both use GTK as a GUI
toolkit library. If it at all helps, I had not noticed any difference in
Mate from when it was using GTK2 to when it was using GTK3 (Just as I
had noticed no difference in Emacs when it started using GTK3 instead of
GTK2).

> Another question: do programs that use GTK 2 work well with Mate
> if Mate uses GTK 3?

I doubt it at all matters. The desktop environment (DE) doesn't at all
care about what the individual programs are using as their GUI toolkitg
(it doesn't even know). For example, I don't run Gnome, Mate or any
other GTK based DE or window manager and I will still be vulnerable to
the GTK3 issues (although apparently I've been lucky and they have never
occurred for me).