Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 18:01:25 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Perhaps the question we should be studying is, "Which is the easiest
> path to making Emacs handle graphical display well?"

+1 We should look at the big picture and keep the discussion going until
we know where to go long-term.  Further, why not look at the other free
projects that have solved the problem already?

For example, I keep hearing about how Blender does a fantastic job with
their UI, which is multi-platform and yet highly praised.  The UI caters
perfectly to the program and to the people who use it.  That aligns with
the "Emacs way" more than fighting GUI frameworks that keep changing
with UX fashion like Gnome and GTK do, in my opinion.

The Blender website says:

> All the components that together make Blender are compatible under the
> newer GNU GPL Version 3. That is also the license to use for any
> distribution of Blender binaries.

Could we learn anything from Blender?  Obviously, Emacs has different
requirements, such as a more advanced "text view" component, but what
about the rest?

Rudy
--
"'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and
if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.  That's logic.'"

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia