Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 20:29:30 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Why is this such a grave problem?  E.g., to cancel drag-and-drop, the
> user can drop it onto some place where dropping is a no-op, like some
> window that doesn't accept drops or sometimes at the source from which
> the stuff was dragged.  I never had any problems with this.

[...]

> Maybe we are again asking too much from the GUI environment, and too
> easily reject environments that are not 110% perfect?  If so, it makes
> little sense to do that with Emacs, whose GUI aspects are secondary.

mouse-drag-and-drop-region cancels the drag and drop operation once the
mouse pointer moves back into a frame that was created by the current
Emacs session, so that more detailed mouse tracking can be used.

Without that, mouse-drag-and-drop-region is noticably degraded.

> It is IMNSHO bad policy for a serious project that intends to remain
> alive for many years to put all of its eggs in a single basket.  We
> should instead actively seek and try using alternative GUI
> environments, and we shouldn't reject them just because they are not
> perfect.

We aren't rejecting alternative GUI environments (in fact we are almost
certainly the only program supporting as many as we do), just not making
them the default.  Not when over 90% of Firefox users (which covers the
GNU/Linux demographic quite well) are still using X Windows.