Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 17:13:58 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I guess you misunderstood what I said.  I just said alternatives to X
> shouldn't be made the default, since almost everyone will be using X for
> the forseeable future.

The 90% X Firefox user share you mentioned several times was a statistic
of dubious relevance when it came out 6 months ago and is pretty much
irrelevant now. The Mozilla Telemetry guys said at the time that it is
not truly representative, for several reasons. And, more importantly,
Wayland adoption is gaining momentum, with major distros (such as
Ubuntu) defaulting to it and KDE joining Gnome as a stable Wayland-based
desktop environment.

I'll say that by 2025 Wayland will be more popular than X by a wide
margin, and then X will have a hard time with basic maintenance by lack
of manpower (some insiders say that it already suffers from that.)

This doesn't mean much for Emacs on the short and medium term. Emacs
works on XWayland, and XWayland is improving so applications running on
it doesn't suffer from a degraded user experience compared to native
Wayland ones, apart from the constraints related to being based on X.

Another claim you made several times is that distros will stop providing
GTK2 packages soon. This is hard to believe, since other major
applications (such as GIMP, as you said) also use GTK2 and distros still
provide packages for libraries way more ancient and obscure than GTK2.

Finally, it seems to me that your experience with some GTK developers is
influencing your technical discussion on this thread.