Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 17:29:46 +0200

> I wonder whether anybody has looked into switching to a different build
> system?

Long time ago I volunteered to create a CMake-based build system and
even experimented a bit to the point of dumping emacs. Almost all of the
work consisted on implementing the platform checks.

CMake has the advantage of supporting multiple "backends" for the build
phase, and `ninja' provides a significant speed-up over `make' on large
projects.

For the platform tests, in my experience CMake is faster than the
autotools, but it still works single-threaded.

Apart from better performance, CMake would simplify the scripts a great
deal.

I'm well aware that there are strong reasons of social nature against a
change like this.