Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:01:29 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Yes, AFAIK.  But AFAIU it should be possible to call C++ functions
> from a C program, given enough glue.

The GUI parts requiring C++ can be neatly separated from the rest of the
C code through such glue.  That's how the Haiku port is implemented, see
src/haiku_support.cc (where the majority of the GUI code is
concentrated) and the callers of the extern "C" functions there in
haikuterm.c.

> Exactly.  GCC already needs a C++ compiler to build, and so does GDB.
> I see no problem requiring that for Emacs, if it will otherwise free
> us from the GTK nightmares.

Also, we don't have to require the Qt build.  It can just be the default
when the user has Qt and a C++ compiler, which everyone does these days.