Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 09:45:17 +0800

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> What I see on that Merge Request is an occasional contributor adding
> code related to an internal, debug-related environment variable to avoid
> its abuse and then making an insulting reference to the people who are
> advicing others to incur on said abuse. Then another occasional
> contributor comes to close the comments (good) with a blunt phrase
> (bad).

What abuse? And the change did not add code, it removed code to prevent
users from customizing their own systems in a way that the GTK
developers do not want.  Even though it causes no problems, no bug
reports, and in general no trouble at all for anyone, especially for
someone who did not even write the GTK native dialog code.

Stop making excuses for the blatant disrespect for users and developers
carried by the GTK developers.  Here's what the AUTHORS file says:

The current team (GTK 3 and 4)
------------------------------

Jonas Ådahl       <jadahl@gmail.com>
Tim Bäder         <mail@baedert.org>
Emmanuele Bassi   <ebassi@gnome.org>
Chun-wei Fan      <fanchunwei@src.gnome.org>
Matthias Clasen   <mclasen@redhat.com>
Carlos Garnacho   <mrgarnacho@gmail.com>
Alexander Larsson <alexl@redhat.com>
Benjamin Otte     <otte@gnome.org>

Evidently, Benjamin Otte is not just an "occasional contributor".

> Implying that that episode illustrates the general attitude of that
> community and that it is relevant to how Emacs should decide its
> relation to the products of such community is... unfair, to say it
> politelly.

Okay, then how about the many MANY times we went to them about the
display disconnect problem, and were very impolitely rebuffed, with our
use case(s) dismissed?

Or recently:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2022-08/msg00687.html

Where they made the ridiculous statement that it is unsafe for Emacs to
auto-save data in Emacs core if the Wayland compositor shuts down.