Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 12:25:45 +0800

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> Given that some fairly popular DE are still based on GTK2, I'm not
> confident it will be removed any time soon. A lot of people have not
> been happy with Gnome for some time now, which has resulted in other
> desktop environments like mate, cinnamon etc. IIRC a number of these are
> still based on GTK2. There are also a couple of reasonably popular
> packages still based on GTK2 who are also unhappy with the direction GTK
> took from v3 onwards and who have not updated to v3 support. Likely
> distros will need to continue GTK2 support for longer than they or the
> developers would prefer.

Cinnamon has always been a GTK 3 desktop environment, and Mate is
apparently now ported to GTK 3 (according to dnf repoquery.)

> There does seem to be growing dissatisfaction with X in various
> developer communities, especially Gnome and GTK.
                         ^^^^^^^^^^

Only.  It's called the "CADT model": www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html.

> Some of the criticisms do seem valid, some less so. I also get a sense
> from posts in the x.org community of concerns regarding on-going
> maintenance, code complexity and some legacy limitations which are
> becoming increasingly more difficult to work around as hardware,
> environments and user expectations evolve.

The people putting forth those criticisms of X should come up with
something concrete instead of catchy general phrases such as "code
complexity" and "legacy limitations" that other people then throw around
as evidence of problems with X.