Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 12:34:07 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Why not?

They object to it based on some poorly defined principle that is a
combination of "security" and something else I can't put my finger on.

>   > The most glaring one is the inability to position toplevel windows
>   > manually, for "security reasons".
>
> I don't quite understand -- what does it mean, concretely, to
> "position toplevel windows manually"?  What are "toplevel windows" in
> this context?  Is an Emacs frame a toplevel window?

Yes.

> Does this mean that the user can't move an Emacs frame on the screen?

No, this means functions like `set-frame-position' can't move the frame
on the screen.  The only way to move the frame is by the user dragging
it with the mouse.

>   > I thought it was because the Wayland people have a philosophical
>   > objection to programs knowing anything about the coordinate system in
>   > use.
>
> What coordinate system is this about?

The coordinate system of the screen.