Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 12:51:50 +0530

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> How much of an issue will this be on Wayland systems? Considering GTK4
>                                                                     ^^^^
> That will hopefully be GTK 5.

Indeed, I checked and you are correct. That puts X11 demise on 10+ year
timeline.

>> will probably drop X11 support, and Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu (likely
>> covering vast majority of Linux desktop) are Wayland default, how much
>> of a critical dependence do we have on custom X11 support, and how much
>> can we afford to rely on Qt to not have these issues on Wayland?
>
> It will not affect Wayland at all, since the Wayland drag-and-drop API
> is too limited to allow Emacs to implement drag-and-drop properly there.
>
> Most importantly, there is no way to cancel drag-and-drop after it
> begins (think C-g), or to receive a notification when the pointer
> reenters the frame where it originated after leaving.

That is unfortunate. Considering HiDPI + mixed DPI support is
non-existent in X11, I was really hoping Wayland feature bulimia to be
solved/on-way-to-be-solved problem by now.

> X will probably remain the primary window server for the next decade or
> so.  Anyone who doesn't want to use one of the several Wayland-ready
> desktop environments on supported hardware will have to use X, even if
> Wayland is the default on most distros.

That is fair. From what I understand Wayland support on non-Linux
systems is still imperfect at best so X11 support is here to stay. But,
can we have it as non-default and get away with it for the most part?
Considering drag-and-drop situation you mentioned above I am not
expecting rainbows, but is it something we can try for?

Apologies for simple (and possibly stupid) questions, but GTK situation has
more thorns than
I previously thought. Considering WSL2 will have more people using Emacs
via Wayland/Pgtk making defaults more important.

Thanks,
Payas