Re: Adding icon sets to Emacs -- and next steps for icons.el

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Adding icon sets to Emacs -- and next steps for icons.el
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 00:20:59 -0700

> I've just pushed the branch scratch/icons with my work from before Lars
> merged his icons.el.

By the way, I forgot to note some really nice properties of basing this
on SVG files:

- The icons use the foreground/background of the face at point.  We can
  have different color icons using the same SVG file.

- The icons scale with the face at point.  Inserting them in a headline
  gives a large icon, inserting them in normal text gives a small one.
  In the same buffer.

- The icons scale automatically with text-scale-adjust (i.e. `C-x C-+').

- Unlike the external library all-the-icons.el, this does not depend
  on installing any external font files.

With some SVG files, you need to fiddle around a bit to get it to work
properly.  For example, IIRC you can't set any foreground/background in
the SVG file itself.  But this is a minor detail.