Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 10:57:36 +0200

    Richard> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
]]]
    Richard> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
]]]
    Richard> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.
]]]

    >> > Requiring a C++ compiler to build Emacs is a big practical
    >> > disadvantage.  Including C++ code in Emacs will be an obstacle for
    >> > people such as me to debug or write code.

    >> Could you elaborate on why this is an issue

    Richard> C++ is a complex language.  I don't want Emacs to require
developers
    Richard> to know C++.

Meh. C-with-macros as used all over Emacs is complex as well, and also
requires learning. Iʼm neither a C++ fanboy nor an expert in "modern"
C++, but if it can be used to reduce complexity Iʼm all for it. GDB
seems to have had some success with it.

    Richard>                                                 when C++
infrastructure
    >> (including GNU C++ infrastructure) is so widely available?

    Richard> I'm sure there will be some users for which getting that running
is a
    Richard> hassle.  It may be a minority, in which case this would be a
secondary
    Richard> problem.  Maybe this by itself would not be enough of a reason not
    Richard> use C++.

I canʼt think of a major platform for Emacs which doesnʼt have a C++
compiler (MS-DOS maybe?)

Robert