Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 09:15:59 +0800

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Emacs tends to do things on its specific way. Big fat frameworks like
> GTK and (even worse AFAIK) Qt provide high-level APIs and don't work
> very well when the user needs to deviate from them.

The only "low-level API" used by Emacs is Xlib.  On every other
platform, high level APIs are used.  On the Haiku port, each window's
event loop runs in its own thread, and events are simply serialized and
sent down a big pipe, where it is then read by haiku_read_socket.

> Long time ago I proposed to investigate the feasibility of a Qt backend,
> which was a not very welcomed because it would entail C++ and... Qt. Rigth
> now I'll rather pick some low-level GUI library and build on top of it.

What's wrong with C++ in GUI code?  See src/haiku_support.cc.
Please feel free to work on a Qt port using that as reference.