Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 18:51:17 +0200

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Sun 21 Aug 2022 at 05:54PM +02, Robert Pluim wrote:
>
>> If Someone™ contributes a Qt port, that might
>> do as well (there was a port of XEmacs to Qt several decades ago, so
>> it definitely feasible).
>
> That would also get us another native Wayland backend, and probably one
> that would could more heartily recommend to people.

Emacs tends to do things on its specific way. Big fat frameworks like
GTK and (even worse AFAIK) Qt provide high-level APIs and don't work
very well when the user needs to deviate from them.

Long time ago I proposed to investigate the feasibility of a Qt backend,
which was a not very welcomed because it would entail C++ and... Qt. Rigth
now I'll rather pick some low-level GUI library and build on top of it.