Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:54:39 +0200

>>>>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 19:39:34 +0800, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> said:

    Po Lu> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
    >> Why not Lucid?

    Po Lu> I forgot to include that, sorry.  I meant it along with the Motif
build,
    Po Lu> since both work equally well.  Several months ago only the Motif
build
    Po Lu> was usable under XInput 2, but all of those bugs were eliminated
between
    Po Lu> then and now.

There was a time when I was young and naïve, and thought that GTK was
going to be the answer to Emacsʼ toolkit issues. That has turned out
to be somewhat untrue [1], so perhaps we should default to Lucid (itʼs
still pretty ugly, but I donʼt use menus or scrollbars so that doesnʼt
affect me personally). If Someone™ contributes a Qt port, that might
do as well (there was a port of XEmacs to Qt several decades ago, so
it definitely feasible).

Robert

Footnotes:
[1] Thatʼs an understatement. GTK has turned into a total clusterfuck.