Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 11:28:09 -0400

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022, 10:12 AM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
But, yes, most people who build Emacs themselves end up using the Gtk
toolkit for two reasons: It's the default, and the no-toolkit one is
ugly and unusable (both in actuality and as a UX preference for most
normal people).

As I only recently took up building emacs for myself again, I can tell you when I saw the choices for toolkit configuration, my reaction was (a) how is no toolkit a viable option, and (b) who is using a window manager based on the Motif or Lucid toolkits these days?
If there was a Qt option, I'd probably have taken it.  When I've used a remote window manager on a local X server (versus a VNC based remote display), GNOME just generated so much more X protocol traffic than KDE/Qt that I'm wary of using it.  I don't know how much of that traffic is from GTK, hence my bias toward Qt if it were already an option.

Lynn