Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:47:19 -0700

Hello,

On Sun 21 Aug 2022 at 10:16PM +08, Po Lu wrote:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Most users don't choose the toolkits -- they use whatever the
>> distribution has configured.  And since most of those use a variation on
>> Gnome Shell, it's natural for the distributions to use the Gtk toolkit
>> for Emacs.
>
> Can't we shout at them to do something else? I've seen the Debian Emacs
> packager here somewhere.

I'm one of the leads for the Debian Emacsen team, though with our
present internal organisation Rob Browning is the person who decides
what gets built, and what you get if you type 'apt-get install emacs'.

Lars is right: so long as GNOME Shell is Debian's default desktop
environment, it's unlikely that we'd change the default away from GTK,
and I don't believe there is any appetite among the desktop and
installer maintainers to switch away from GNOME Shell as the default.

The only other toolkit build we provide is Lucid.  If Emacs upstream
explicitly recommended a no toolkit build, we'd probably add that as
another option.

--
Sean Whitton