Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 12:40:34 +0530

[ஞாயிறு ஆகஸ்ட் 21, 2022] Sean Whitton wrote:

>> For what it's worth, I don't personally have any strong, principled
>> stand regarding what the default toolkit should be right now (via "apt
>> install emacs").  If I recall correctly, I think I may have switched it
>> to gtk years back when it looked like that was the upstream preference.
>>
>> Personally, I haven't installed emacs-gtk much in years.  I switched to
>> emacs-lucid nearly exclusively a good while back because I hit the well
>> known X forwarding bugs back when that was important to me.  (I also
>> turn off menu/tool/scroll bars, so I don't see a lot of the
>> toolkit-specific bits.)
>
> So, in your view it would be fine if we didn't use -gtk by default even
> though GNOME is Debian's default desktop?

Does the toolkit of Emacs matter?  The only annoyance I faced when using
Okular in a primarily Gtk system (all thanks to Chrome) was the file
picker but I'd argue that one does not use the toolkit's file picker in
Emacs often.  Heck, I went the other way and replace as much of the file
picker with dired+dragon(1) for _opening_ files (I'm still stuck with
the file picker for saving files).
[ But I say this as someone who does not mind the non-uniform look of
  programs as long as they work like they are supposed to.  Even VSCode
  does not look like a typical Gtk program AFAIU (and thank goodness it
  doesn't since the GNOME's current UI design is PITA to work with
  anyway).  ]