Re: scratch/icons 4de626ea22 08/11: Support using icons.el in toolbar

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: scratch/icons 4de626ea22 08/11: Support using icons.el in toolbar
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 20:27:13 +0800

> Is that the case for all the SVG renderers?

We only support one, AFAIK.

> What does "doesn't work" mean, exactly.  Does it signal an error? draw
> something with wrong colors? draw complete random noise? just silently
> does nothing?  Is the behavior the same for monochrome displays as for
> colormapped displays?

It draws big, black squares, if the rendering extension is present on
the X server.

Otherwise, it draws noise of the same kind you would expect if you
simply imported StaticColor pixel data onto a drawable created on a
PseudoColor screen.

> I've used 16bit TrueColor displays until quite recently, but can't
> remember using (or hearing someone mention the use of) a colormapped
> display in the last ... 20 years?  How common is it nowadays?

I don't know, but it's something I use Emacs with once in a while,
because a Java X server that I sometimes need to use has buggy TrueColor
support.

> What else breaks down?

Nothing, I fixed all of those earlier this year.