Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:21:26 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 14:37:43 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:26:00 +0700
> > Cc: Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> > > Because not every combination can be expressed as a character code.

> > Kitty manages to represent a lot of key combinations in its
> > [comprehensive key protocol][1]. Someoneā„¢ could implement that in
> > fbterm, too.

> Kitty isn't a console program, it's a terminal emulator running on X.
> That's not what I described, nor is it what we are discussing here.

On a Linux console essentially every key combination of shift keys plus a
non-shift key CAN be represented.  It takes some work, but that work was
done over 20 years ago by Kalle Niemitalo.  The keyboard layout needs to
be extended, and some Lisp code needs to be added to the function-key-map
to interpret the new codes.  It works well.

fbterm uses the key layout configured outside fbterm (except for the
"special" keys, had Gregory not masked them).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).