Re: Using Emacs in fbterm.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Using Emacs in fbterm.
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 20:33:13 +0300

> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 16:41:00 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> There is a problem with colours in Emacs in fbterm.  When one does M-:
> (defined-colors) it prints a list of just eight colours, black, red,
> ...., white.
>
> However, the face constructing mechanism seems to assume more than eight
> colours, and this seems buggy.

Face constructing makes no such assumptions.  If the colors defined
for the face are not directly supported by the terminal (in this case,
not in the 8 colors), Emacs uses color-translation to find the closest
color that is supported.  See tty-colors.el.  If this translation
doesn't produce satisfactory results, the face colors need to be
either:

  . changed such that (a) on color-rich terminals the colors are
    similar, but (b) on 8-color terminals we get better results; or
  . the face definition should be changed to have a separate setting
    of colors for terminals with 8 colors

> The face hi-green, for example, rather than having background
> "green" gets "light green".  This appears on the terminal as dark
> yellow, which is clearly wrong.

Why do you think it's wrong?  Given that yellow is closer to hi-green
(judging by its RGB components) than green, I see nothing wrong here.

> Also the face mode-line-inactive is indistinguishable from the default
> face

??? It should be the same as mode-line face of the active mode line.
I wonder how come it's the same as the default in your case.  Is that
in "emacs -Q"?