Re: master 4803fba487 1/2: 'C-x v v' on a diff buffer commits it as a pa

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 4803fba487 1/2: 'C-x v v' on a diff buffer commits it as a patch (bug#52349)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 20:02:38 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>,  ams@gnu.org,  juri@jurta.org,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 18:45:18 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I think the "C-x v D" step should be part of the command's execution.
> > It makes little sense to me to ask the user to prepare the diffs in
> > advance, since conceptually the changes are already on disk.
>
> It's just an easy way to decide which changes are part of this commit.

I didn't say it shouldn't be displayed, I said the user shouldn't be
required to prepare this display manually; the command should do it
instead.

> > I think a special numeric argument (like "C-u 0", perhaps?) is more
> > appropriate to signal the interactive selection of changes.
>
> And then it asks you for every hunk whether to include it in the commit
> or not?

And then show a message to the user saying something like

  Edit the diffs to leave only the hunks you want to commit,
  then type C-c to go ahead and commit them.