Re: Hunting the culprit package

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Hunting the culprit package
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 22:50:01 +0530

> In my experience, the problem in such circumstances is most of the time
> a file that was miscompiled for some reason.

Probably something like this happened.

> NOTE: I said "may be", because I don't know whether it's the case
> or not.  On `elpa.(non)gnu.org` tarballs are not *re*built, so for
> (Non)GNU ELPA packages this should never happen.

Makes sense.

>> Also, if this is not the correct way to approach then how to find which
>> the old package that was creating the issue.
>
> Do the usual debugging from the details of issue itself, walking our way
> back to its source?

I noted this first in magit; so I reported there as well. I was informed
that uninstalling "compat" and "magit" and then reinstalling "magit" and
then restarting Emacs could solve the issue.

This did the trick.

Because magit is hooked into so many places, every part of Emacs was
giving some error. For example, pressing RET on an info node was also
not working.

An external package can cause so much damage. Can this be prevented?