Re: Hunting the culprit package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Hunting the culprit package
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 18:12:03 -0400

> Because magit is hooked into so many places, every part of Emacs was
> giving some error. For example, pressing RET on an info node was also
> not working.
>
> An external package can cause so much damage. Can this be prevented?

:-)

Emacs tries to make a lot of things possible.  It also tries to prevent
bad things, but it tends to be pretty conservative in this respect since
the two goals are in conflict.

To the extent that your problem prevented you from using Emacs but
did not make you lose work (presumably), then I'd consider that the
efforts we make to "prevent bad things" were successful.
Maybe not a resounding success, admittedly.

        Stefan