Re: "New user" customize group?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: "New user" customize group?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 21:36:52 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 20.04.2022 18:54, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Some settings which new users are most likely to be interested in
>>> changing: the theme, the default face, enabling cua-mode, linum-mode,
>>> tab-bar-mode, etc.
>> Those are your opinions.  I'm sure many will disagree and point out
>> other settings new users will most likely want to customize.  For
>> example, CUA and tab bars are probably quite controversial.
>> That said, I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying to come
>> up
>> with such a group, so feel free to work on that, and thank you for
>> your interest in Emacs and its new users.
>>

> I've just looked through the list of proposed choices on
> https://emacs.amodernist.com/ (it has come up on Reddit again), and
> that set looks pretty reasonable. At least the sections General and
> Programming. Maybe Writing as well. The rest seems not so widely
> applicable.

(I'm operating the site) The list of options on the site was pretty much
just taken from my own configuration, without much more thought than
"this might be useful for newcomers".  Hence there is a lot of personal
bias.  As pointed out, the site is still more a prototype to demonstrate
what might be possible using the model of a "configuration generator".