Re: Magit

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Magit
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 10:20:23 -0400

Akib Azmain Turja [2022-09-03 12:29:08] wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>>
>> What is the situation with preparing to include Magit in Emacs?
>
> I don't think that will ever happen.  Magit has many contributors, and
> many of them hasn't completed the paperwork.  So including Magit in
> Emacs would be pretty hard (if possible)?

Actually, in a sense it's pretty easy: just make an exception for the
rule that all code needs to have its copyright assigned to the FSF.

Whether we want to make such an exception here of course is
another question.

But even if we do make such an exception, having a copy of Magit in
`emacs.git` would add extra maintenance burden to keep that copy in sync
with the one maintained elsewhere.  So for administrative reasons, it's
probably preferable to keep it outside of `emacs.git`.

        Stefan