Re: Magit

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Magit
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 08:16:43 -0700

> Actually, in a sense it's pretty easy: just make an exception for the
> rule that all code needs to have its copyright assigned to the FSF.

Sounds good to me, FWIW.

> But even if we do make such an exception, having a copy of Magit in
> `emacs.git` would add extra maintenance burden to keep that copy in sync
> with the one maintained elsewhere.  So for administrative reasons, it's
> probably preferable to keep it outside of `emacs.git`.

I'm not sure I understand the objection.  Is it not just a question of
popping something like this in a shell script that runs every N days:

  git clone <MAGIT-URL> magit
  cp magit/*.el lisp/magit
  rm -rf magit
  git commit -a -m "; Auto-update Magit"
  git push

If we want to be a bit more conservative, we have code in NonGNU ELPA to
check out the latest tagged package version.