src/Makefile unhelpful

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: src/Makefile unhelpful
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 22:19:08 -0400

Building temacs, when compiling the C source files, outputs lines like these

  CC       dispnew.o
  CC       frame.o
  CC       scroll.o
  CC       xdisp.o

which don't show the arguments actually used.
(Why does it show that instead of the actual command?
What code in the Makefile causes this?
Perhaps add comments to explain this.)

To show all the arguments on each line would be a nuisance,
but when one wants to investigate what they were,
I find no easy way to do it.  How do you do that?

Anyway, I think it would be useful for each make run to output, for
debugging, each actual command.  It could show each of the usual
commands once, or (if it isn't hard) only the usual commands that were
actually executed.  To show, for instance, what this expands into:

        $(AM_V_CC)$(CC) -c $(CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CFLAGS) $(PROFILING_CFLAGS)

at least if the .c.o rule is ever used.