Re: emacs-29 --with-pgtk vs --with-x

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
Subject: Re: emacs-29 --with-pgtk vs --with-x
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 08:04:28 +0200

Pankaj> Debian 11 distro's default setting is to use Wayland. Is that what you
mean by pure Wayland?

Yup... maybe. There is some confusion in what the implications of this 'default setting is to use Wayland' are. When calling upon the oracle, I was expecting to steer a discussion which can end up as yet another Q(&A) for the FAQ. After many years of Linux use, my understanding is still shadowy on this... mainly because most of the articles I stumbled upon are too high level. So having a 'this are the implications of Wayland for Emacs' kind of _short_ document may be helpful.

/PA

On Sun, 11 Sept 2022 at 07:56, Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> wrote:
Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> following the discussion of the state of the GTK port, I gave it a chance
> yesterday and have reverted to the X driver for my Linux boxes. The reason
> for me to drop pgtk for the moment was that I had a 2 second delay between
> clicking on a menu item and the menu appearing. Some people will tell me to
> use the key bindings and disable the menu... I use a lot of snippets and
> having them on the menu helps me apply my neurons to other tasks than
> learning snippet triggers by heart ;-)
>
> Don't know what to do when the first pure Wayland distributions appear.
> Maybe other users are in the same situation and 'statement from the oracle'
> may help us all...

Debian 11 distro's default setting is to use Wayland. Is that what you
mean by pure Wayland?

And both the builds working fine on my system. I tried --with-pgtk and
without it.

Side note: Recently I have switched back to non PGTK build because
set-frame-width and set-frame-height has very erratic behaviour with
PGTK.

Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet