Re: emacs-29 --with-pgtk vs --with-x

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: emacs-29 --with-pgtk vs --with-x
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 12:53:09 +0530

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> Pankaj> Debian 11 distro's default setting is to use Wayland. Is that what
> you
> mean by pure Wayland?
>
> Yup... maybe. There is some confusion in what the implications of this
> 'default setting is to use Wayland' are. When calling upon the oracle, I
> was expecting to steer a discussion which can end up as yet another Q(&A)
> for the FAQ. After many years of Linux use, my understanding is still
> shadowy on this... mainly because most of the articles I stumbled upon are
> too high level. So having a 'this are the implications of Wayland for
> Emacs' kind of _short_ document may be helpful.

For what its worth, distros offering Wayland as default session all
still have X11 session as an option at login. Even without it, all major
DEs will be supporting X11 via Xwayland for foreseeable future (a decade
or more). Even Gnome/GTK, the posterchild of breaking backwards
compatibility have support for X11 in GTK+4 (not yet released) and not
settled on whether to deprecate it for GTK+5 (way off into future).

As such, for any meaningful plans, even for Emacs lifetimes, it is not
worth thinking about *pure* Wayland distros just yet.

Thank you,
Payas