Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 21:29:28 +0300

>>> I think we should have either
>>>
>>>     'C-x w f' tear-off-frame
>>>     'C-x w t' tab-window-detach
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>>     'C-x 5 xx' tear-off-frame

Since the command name is 'tear-off-window', should it be on
the window-related prefix 'C-x 4' or new 'C-x w'?

>>>     'C-x t xx' tab-window-detach
>>>
>>> where 'xx' is a single key.
>>
>> There is also tab-detach (tab-bar-detach-tab).
>> So there 3 related commands that need a keybinding:
>>
>>   - tear-off-window   - move window to a new frame
>>   - tab-window-detach - move window to a new tab
>>   - tab-detach        - move tab to a new frame
>
> Good point.  Which of the two ideas in the message of mine you're
> replying to do you prefer, for all three of these?  Do you have an idea
> for 'xx'?

What key has the closest mnemonic for detachment?  Maybe '^'?
Then e.g.

 - tear-off-window   - C-x w ^   - detach window to a new frame
 - tab-window-detach - C-x t ^ w - detach window to a new tab
 - tab-detach        - C-x t ^ f - detach tab to a new frame