Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:50:46 -0400

> C-x w 2 split-root-window-below
> C-x w 3 split-root-window-right

While I understand the desire to follow the `C-x 2` and `C-x 3`
tradition, these numbers don't actually carry much useful intuition.
How 'bout `C-x w -` and `C-x w |` instead?

Of course, it'd also be nice to bring together/closer the root and
non-root variants of those operations, but I have no good suggestion
here, other than to suggest to use a new command which doesn't accept
a numeric argument at all and only uses `C-u` to choose between a root
split and non-root split.  That's because I personally never use that
numeric argument, and prefer to resize the windows afterwards rather
than try to guess sizes beforehand.

        Stefan