Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 07:19:56 -0700

Hello,

On Tue 13 Sep 2022 at 02:01PM GMT, Gregory Heytings wrote:

>> Seems like one of your goals here is to replace C-x 2, C-x 3 etc. with more
>> mnemonic bindings?
>>

> I shared a part of my configuration in the hope that it would be
> useful. AFAICS, the only commands in that list that are already bound are C-x
> 0 1 2 3 +.  And C-x { } ^ if you count the subcommands.
>

>> Also, could you say why for the split- commands you use just C-u to split
>> the root window, rather than a negative prefix argument as has been
>> previously discussed?
>>

> That's what I do (and will continue to do) here, but feel free to use a
> negative prefix if you prefer.  Like Stefan, I never use a prefix argument for
> split-window-{right,below}.  FWIW, I very much doubt that such an argument is
> widely used.

Okay, thank you for saying more.

I hadn't realised until now, but split-window-{right,below} actually
already have a meaning for a negative prefix argument.  I don't know how
we decide whether to usurp that with having it mean the command should
affect the root window.  Maybe an experiment requesting feedback, like
was done with unbinding M-o?  Or maybe it's not important enough for
that?  What do you think, Lars?

My own experience is likewise that I can't imagine ever using a prefix
argument with split-window-{right,below}.

--
Sean Whitton