Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 6a2ee981c3: Add new functions for splitting the root window
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 08:13:50 +0000

These are really not easier to type than 'C-x 2' and 'C-x 3'. I'd rather type simply 'C-u C-x 2' and 'C-u C-x 3' to split the root window.

But (1) C-u C-x 2 and C-u C-x 3 are already taken

You meant C-u is taken to split the window to exactly 4 lines high?

Yes. Unless the prefix argument of C-x 2 and C-x 3 is deprecated (which is unlikely in the short term), suddenly deciding that a raw prefix argument has a different meaning than a non-raw prefix argument will make things even more confusing than they are.

Window managers have shortcut keys 'x' for maximize, and 'n' for minimize.

Out of curiosity: which window managers?

On many window managers. For example, this is how it looks on MATE Desktop Environment:

We cannot draw a conclusion from a single example, and AFAIU the screenshot you show does not tell that "x" is used to maximize a window but only that, when that menu is opened, you can select its "maximize" entry by pressing "x".