Re: make-frame-command with multiple munitors

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: make-frame-command with multiple munitors
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 20:28:44 +0800

Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com> writes:

> I imagine there's a reason make-frame-on-current-monitor didn't
> outright replace make-frame (personally it seems more normal to me to
> always open a new frame on the current monitor, but I can imagine
> that this is not the general case.)

Because opening a frame on the right monitor is the job of the window
manager, not Emacs.

Notice how make-frame-on-current-monitor always sets the "user specified
position" flag in the window manager hints property.  The window manager
will then blindly obey the initial position (0, 0 from the origin of the
monitor) instead of placing the window in the right monitor while also
taking into account window placement constraints and policy.