Re: master baf1a7a4a0: Turn gv-synthetic-place into a function

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master baf1a7a4a0: Turn gv-synthetic-place into a function
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:14:03 -0400

>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 10:20:24 -0400
>>
>> While `gv-` is a handy short prefix, maybe we should stop using terms
>> like "place" and "generalized variables" and call them "lvalues" like
>> the rest of the world.
>
> Would people without background in language parsing understand the
> terminology?  If not, lvalue is not better than what we already use.

It has some advantages, tho:
- I think the vast majority of those who are familiar with generalized
  variables know the "lvalue" term as well, so there is not much loss.
- A non-negligible number of people who don't know "place" or
  "generalized variables" have heard to word "lvalue" in one course
  or another.
- "lvalue" is known to Wikipedia, contrary to "generalized variables".
- "lvalue" is shorter than "generalized variables".
- "lvalue" is obviously a special term with a technical meaning, contrary
  to "place".

The downside I can see (beside the obvious churn) is that the
explanation of lvalue in Wikipedia might prove more confusing
than helful.

        Stefan