Re: Windows Pseudo Console support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows Pseudo Console support
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 21:53:18 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:10:39 +0200
>
> OTOH, MSYS2 mintty (and probably upstream Cygwin's too) now support
> ConPTY. As that is a console emulator probably it doesn't care about the
> encoding issue?

Terminal emulators are only dealing with console input/output of the
child processes, so the problems I mentioned in that issue are much
less relevant to them, AFAIU.

The point is that ConPTY is far from being a faithful emulation of
Unix PTYs; instead, it is really a kind of console device that is not
suited for dealing with anything but strictly console I/O, and
Windows-style console I/O on top of that.