Re: Windows Pseudo Console support

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Windows Pseudo Console support
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:10:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
>> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 17:30:12 +0200
>>
>> A few years ago Microsoft introduced the Windows Pseudo Console (ConPTY)
>> which tries to be the equivalent of *nix ptys.
>>
>> Has anyone looked into supporting that feature?
>
> Yes, I did.  The way this is implemented has a glaring omission, which
> makes it all but useless for Emacs: you cannot in practice control the
> encoding of the text that flows through ConPTY.  See
>
>   https://github.com/microsoft/terminal/issues/9174
>
> Too bad.

Oh, now I remember that you filled that issue because I told you that
the MS Terminal team was very responsive.

Too bad indeed. Maintainers are rejecting patches saying "Emacs just
neeeds to support ConPTY so the hack you are submitting is not
necessary." :-/

OTOH, MSYS2 mintty (and probably upstream Cygwin's too) now support
ConPTY. As that is a console emulator probably it doesn't care about the
encoding issue?