Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:35:54 +0200

Hi Payas,

Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com> writes:

> From your mail, below were the motivators for change:

Re-reading it, the list was a mix of (1) things to be done for the
switch to be sensible (and that will be boosted if the switch happens)
and (2) possible nice outcomes.

> - Let's stabilize editing standards around the org.org file.

(=> 1) Something that we did before the switch.

> - Let's test org capabilities against a giant .org file.

(=> 2) Yes, this can lead to enhancements in Org like it did recently,
but I don't think this is a good reason enough to justify the switch.

> - Let's make `C-x 4 a' do something useful in an .org section.

(=> 1) Also something now available.

> - Let's write more non-emacs parsers and exporters.

(=> 2) This was an illusion: I don't think projects like Pandoc use
the org-manual.org file to test whether they are good parsers and
exporters.  For a good reason: nobody really needs to use Pandoc for
parsing/exporting the Org manual.

> - Let's see if we have more contributions to the manual and if
>   we really solved a problem here.

(=> 2) This didn't happen.

> While you're best to judge the number of contributions, #1 and #2, or
> the dogfooding opportunities provided by the switch are immense.
>
> One doesn't occasionally run into org documents the size of org.org. It
> has already resulted in gc enhancements as it was slowing down Emacs
> build and was optimized. I'll say that alone is a benefit worth keeping.

I'm not convinced: slowing down Emacs build to create opportunities
for enhancing the Org parser and exporter does not strike me as a good
reason.

Respecting the GNU standards about manuals ("The preferred document
format for the GNU system is the Texinfo formatting language.") and
the recent discussions provide good reasons for switching back to
.texi, if all maintainers agree.

> There is also more progress being made on non-emacs parsers[0][1], and
> perhaps we can reach out if they find org.org useful. Generally
> speaking, these projects are even smaller (number of contributors-wise)
> than org-mode, but a shared burden is always nicer.
>
> [0]: https://github.com/nvim-orgmode/orgmode
> [1]: https://github.com/200ok-ch/org-parser/blob/master/resources/org.ebnf

Of course, feel free to contact them, but why would they want to try
solving the challenge for exporting org-manual.org?  They can create
any .org file with the complexity they desire if they need it.  Also,
independently from this discussion, _we_ should certainly provide an
example document containing alls things a parser/exporter should be
able to handle.

All best,

--
 Bastien