Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 15:05:31 +0800

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

>> While you're best to judge the number of contributions, #1 and #2, or
>> the dogfooding opportunities provided by the switch are immense.
>>
>> One doesn't occasionally run into org documents the size of org.org. It
>> has already resulted in gc enhancements as it was slowing down Emacs
>> build and was optimized. I'll say that alone is a benefit worth keeping.
>
> I'm not convinced: slowing down Emacs build to create opportunities
> for enhancing the Org parser and exporter does not strike me as a good
> reason.

As the outcome of that thread, I managed to reduce org->texinfo
conversion down to 4sec. https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/87czf9np98.fsf@localhost
I do not think that the overall impact on the build process is something
we need to worry about in this context.

> Respecting the GNU standards about manuals ("The preferred document
> format for the GNU system is the Texinfo formatting language.") and
> the recent discussions provide good reasons for switching back to
> .texi, if all maintainers agree.

Do note that RMS expressed interest in changing this standard to Org,
given that Org provides all the necessary tooling to produce
high-quality manual.
https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/E1nzQh5-0001OB-22@fencepost.gnu.org

I also spawned a thread about this in Org ML.
https://list.orgmode.org/87k09frdsv.fsf@localhost/

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,