Re: Tree-sitter integration in python.el

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter integration in python.el
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 13:57:19 -0700

> On Oct 7, 2022, at 11:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 15:10:10 -0700
>> Cc: Matthias Meulien <orontee@gmail.com>,
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>> emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> The complaint for font-lock-maximum-decoration is that it’s obscure and too
>> corse-grained. So my idea is for each major mode to provide fined-grained
>> controls like python-fontify-type/f-string/assignment/built-in/etc. And
>> tree-sitter makes it easy to implement this kind of toggle. But I guess a
>> global control is also nice, I can make tree-sitter respect
>> font-lock-maximum-decoration, in addition to the fined grained local-control.
>
> I think having tree-sitter respect font-lock-maximum-decoration would
> be good, because it allows a major-mode agnostic way of controlling
> fontifications.  With tree-sitter in mind, we'd need to agree on what
> kind of syntactic entities are included in each level (which is also a
> Good Thing, because currently what is level N of font-lock is entirely
> up to the major-mode, AFAIU).

I think it is difficult to define syntactic entities for each level such that
it is generally enough to include all kinds of major mode out there, and
specific enough to be useful. It is easy for common programming languages, but
hard for others like html, css, prolog, etc.

My impression of the levels are 1 for absolute minimum, 2 for moderate, and 3
for maximum. I don’t know if any major modes uses more than 3 levels. Perhaps
rough guidelines like this could be more helpful than specifying syntactic
entities for each level.

Yuan