Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 10:16:05 -0700

> On Oct 10, 2022, at 9:29 AM, Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> wrote:
>
>>> I added some variartion of this.  I think also message is better,
>>> because user-error makes the logic a little harder.  What do you
>>> think?
>>
>> Yeah user-error is mostly the same as a message, since nobody (I
>> think) turns on beeping anymore. Though I hope there is a way to warn
>> users that’s not missable. Messages (and user-error) could be covered
>> by later messages. Hmm, maybe we can use warnings.
>>
>> For template string please see that patch that applies on top of your
>> patch. It seems to work for me. (Also see screenshot attached,
>> brackets have different colors because I forgot to turn off
>> rainbow-delimiter-mode when taking the shot). Also some of the lines
>> are longer than 70 columns. Could you wrap those lines?
>>

> Yeah, it is better, though we still get some bleeding into the parens
> etc.  Anyway, I think we can tweak this later.
>
> Applied your changes, see latest revision.
>
> Thanks,
> Theo
>
> <0001-Add-tree-sitter-functionality-to-js-mode.patch>

Thanks! Looks good, I’ll apply it. BTW, you don’t need to explain what does a
function do in the commit message, just what changed. For new functions, you
can just say “New function”. And you can merge several entries together, like

(js--treesit-backward-up-list)
(js--treesit-indent-rules)
(js--treesit-keywords)
(js--treesit-settings): New functions.