Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - design

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - design
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 19:48:16 +0200

Hi Stefan, Timothey,
* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [2022-05-19; 13:37 -04]:
>> I’m not sure what’s best here. Nationality feels like the right thing to me,
>> but
>> as you say some people could reasonably check two or even three of them.
>> However, I’d consider a list of 237 checkboxes to be pretty bad (as opposed
>> the current single-select dropdown menu). Would it be unreasonable to ask
>> for a
>> primary nationality, if that works for 99% of people that may be good enough
>> overall for us.
>
> To be honest, I have no idea why we'd care about nationality.  I can see
> why we'd care about where our users reside (e.g. country of residence),

+1 for country of residence.

Regarding the idea of asking for region instead: If people
answer country of residence it's possible to aggregate the
answers to regions.

> or maybe which is their mother's tongue, or the language they speak most
> comfortably, but nationality?  only as a proxy for some of those.

Makes sense to me, especially if there would be a next
question how well they find their language supported by
Emacs.  Or if they need additional packages for supporting
their language.

Ciao; Gregor
--