Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:47:35 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I don't agree, and don't feel myself uncomfortable at all.  For the
>> same reason I don't feel uncomfortable because we use HarfBuzz for
>> rendering and GnuTLS for networking.
>
> How relevant is fontification for editing code, and how relevant are
> HarfBuzz and GnuTLS for the same?

Well, we are not talking just about fontification, but we will get all
sorts of ast-powered benefits.  Navigation, speed, movement, context
aware deletion/inserting and more. There's a whole body of ingenious
stuff that's been made in other editors with this framework.  They will
immediately be relevant for emacs as well. This is much too simplistic a
view, I'm afraid.

> Emacs is very useful for editing code without any of HarfBuzz, Xft,
> Cairo, and TLS support.  If CC Mode dies a "slow, deprecated death",
> then Emacs will not be useful at all without tree-sitter installed.

I did not suggest CC Mode dies a slow, deprecated death.  I suggested
the modes out-of-tree that have obvious issues that has been lingering
for years will be deprecated.  That's different, and not at all in line
with what you are saying.

My point was that I'd consider it unfair to Alan (though he should
answer that himself) moving the C# variant to core, because that would
inevitably but even more stress on him.  _Every_ time I've had some
issues maintaining some problems in C# mode it has caused weeks of work
for Alan.

With tree-sitter, the same bugs were solved with 5 minutes coding.  I'm
not kidding.

If interested, you can dig around lists and issues discussing multiline
strings in CC Mode.

Thanks,

Theo