Re: Edebug corrupting point in buffers; we need buffer-point and set-buf

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Edebug corrupting point in buffers; we need buffer-point and set-buffer-point, perhaps.
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 08:45:42 +0200

> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 21:25:08 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> +(defcustom edebug-save-buffer-points nil
> +  "If non-nil save and restore the buffer points in some buffers.
> +
> +Saving and restoring the buffer point in a buffer is needed if you
> +are debugging code which sets point in that buffer, particularly if
> +there is also a window displaying that buffer.  Otherwise the buffer
> +point (being used by the program) will get overwritten by the
> +window point.
> +
> +If the value is a list of buffer names (recommended), only those
> +buffers will have their buffer points restored.  Otherwise, t means
> +restore all buffers\\=' points, and nil means none.

If we indeed need such an option, why shouldn't it be Edebug's
business to automatically keep point in all buffers that are displayed
in some window?  It doesn't strike me as the best UI to burden the
user with that task.

And like Stefan, I think we still need to understand better what
exactly happens here and why.  I don't think I understood that from
your original description.