Re: Edebug corrupting point in buffers.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Edebug corrupting point in buffers.
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 19:57:11 +0200

> Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 17:24:26 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> >   (defcustom edebug-save-displayed-buffer-points nil
> >     "If non-nil, save and restore point in all displayed buffers.
>
> > What am I missing?
>
> The troublesome behaviour is controlled by edebug-save-windows, not
> edebug-save-displayed-buffer-points.  edebug-save-windows is enabled by
> default.  Sorry for not reading your post more carefully.

This now gets me back to the inability to reproduce the problem with
your recipe.  If that depends on edebug-save-windows, not on
edebug-save-displayed-buffer-points, and since edebug-save-windows is
t by default, why wasn't I able to reproduce the problem?

Anyway, the documentation of edebug-save-windows says:

   -- User Option: edebug-save-windows
       If this is non-‘nil’, Edebug saves and restores the window
       configuration.  That takes some time, so if your program does not
       care what happens to the window configurations, it is better to set
       this variable to ‘nil’.

       If the value is a list, only the listed windows are saved and
       restored.

So I'm now asking whether setting edebug-save-windows to nil would
have solved your problem, and if so, whether we really need some
bugfix and a new varaiable?